Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Anastasis

Remember me? Well, I was inspired to write this quick Scriptural observation after an online conversation with an acquaintance. We were discussing Chiliasm and my friend pointed out that it mentions "This is the first resurrection" (αυτη η αναστασις η πρωτη) (Apoc 20:5)

I was kinda struck by ...

I was kinda struck by anastasis (αναστασις) which we translate as resurrection, because it suddenly struck me that I have seen it before in a totally different context. I checked a Greek Concordance, and sure enough ...

και ευλογησεν αυτους συμεων και ειπεν προς μαριαμ την μητερα αυτου ιδου ουτος κειται εις πτωσιν και αναστασιν πολλων εν τω ισραηλ και εις σημειον αντιλεγομενον (Luke 2:34)

and Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, "Behold, this child is destined for the fall and rise of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be contradicted (Ibid. NAB Trans)


There it is in inflected form. That's Simeon's Prophecy. The anastasin of the quote is in the phrase "a fall and rising" of many.

Standard commentaries always speak of tumults because of the Word or the Way. I agree with those, to an extent. But I began to think of this in a new way after my discussion today. I am struck by the order of falling and rising. When I harken back to Romans 6:1-11, I become convinced that this is on purpose. Man has fallen to sin, but because of the Cross (the sign of contradiction that Simeon refers to at the end of the passage) Man may rise again with Christ in new life.

Something to think about.

UPDATE - A friend of mine has proposed an alternate definition for the First Resurrection: Faith. He offers Eph 2:1-10 for reference.

No comments: